Sunday, April 6, 2008

To chemo or not to chemo

When you have metastatic cancer you learn that the meaning of the term “normal” is always changing. As soon as you get used to one way of spending your days, taking your meds, working, resting, etc, - “normal” changes and you have to figure it out all over again. And, if you’re on chemo “normal” changes almost daily.
I have been 4 weeks without Avastin (due to some problems) and 1 1/2 with out Abraxane. Tomorrow I start my 7th cycle with the normal regiment of drugs ( Abraxane every week for 3 weeks and Avastin on the first and third week, then I get a week off). Well maybe, You see, I have felt so good for the last 5 days and I don’t want it to go away. My norm will take a drastic turn for the worse by this time next week. And by the time I finish this cycle I will have spent the previous week & half and most of the week after in bed.
The reason I said “Maybe” is because I am seriously considering stopping chemo. I want to feel good, I want to have energy to work in my garden, play with my grandchildren, and all the other things that I want to do. To help me make my decision I am going to try and post to my blog everyday or 2 for my next 2 cycles of chemo. I am hoping that at the end I will be able to read back over my journaling and see something about myself, my journey that I haven’t realized before

No comments: